The Ukrainian Greek Catholic parishes of Holy Ghost in Chester and Saints Peter and Paul in Clifton Heights will be merging to Holy Myrrh Bearers with its home at the historic former Leiper Presbyterian Church, 900 Fairview Ave., Ridley Township albeit with a Swarthmore address.
Leiber, which opened in 1819, closed Jan. 8, 2012. Among those who worshiped there were presidents Andrew Jackson, William Henry Harrison and James Buchanan.
It was purchased by the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Archeparchy of Philadelphia in March.
Holy Ghost at 3015 W. 3rd St., and Saints Peter and Paul at 100 S. Penn St., will be closed and sold.
The first service at the new church is scheduled for Sept. 28 with a blessing ceremony the day before.
The Holy Myrrh Bearers, were those involved with the burial of the Lord Jesus and the discovery of the empty tomb on Easter.
UPDATE: the first service is now scheduled for Nov. 2 with the blessing ceremony the preceding day.