With the hunting season underway, the Pennsylvania Game Commission has safety tips to offer to first-time hunters, and those who have not been hunting in the past several years, says State Rep. Jim Cox (R-129).
• Hunters should always identify the target, do not shoot at sounds or movement. Young observers should dress appropriately as well, following the rules.
• Wear the mandated amount of florescent orange clothing and stay in the zone, do not shoot at game moving between hunters.
• Scouting hunting areas is always best, plan where to hunt, and hunt where you plan.
• Use a map and compass or a GPS unit. This way you can be found in case of an accident.
• Carry a basic survival kit and know how to use it.