Concessions McCarthy Made Are A Scandal In That They Should Never Have Been Needed — Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA23) became Speaker of the House, this morning, Jan. 7, after four days and 15 votes — something that has not happened since before the Civil War.
His victory, however, only came after a series of concessions to a group of hard-line anti-feudalist Republicans led by Matt Gaetz (R-FL1)
So what were these concessions?
As per the wise and wonderful ZeroHedge.com:
- As has been reported, it will only take a single congressperson, acting in what is known as a Jeffersonian Motion, to move to remove the Speaker if he or she goes back on their word or policy agenda.
- A “Church” style committee will be convened to look into the weaponization of the FBI and other government organizations (presumably the CIA, the subject of the original Church Committee) against the American people.
- Term limits will be put up for a vote.
- Bills presented to Congress will be single subject, not omnibus with all the attendant earmarks, and there will be a 72-hour minimum period to read them.
- The Texas Border Plan will be put before Congress. From The Hill: “The four-pronged plan aims to ‘Complete Physical Border Infrastructure,’ ‘Fix Border Enforcement Policies,’ ‘Enforce our Laws in the Interior’ and ‘Target Cartels & Criminal Organizations.’”
- COVID mandates will be ended as will all funding for them, including so-called “emergency funding.”
- Budget bills would stop the endless increases in the debt ceiling and hold the Senate accountable for the same.
Dear readers, how many of you actually didn’t realize that bills presented rarely concerned a single subject and that those thousand page monstrosities were pushed on representatives without them having a chance to read them?